Thursday 1 September 2011

Welcome to Peacenik Inc….

Much like the dinner tables laden with the very predictable biryani-kebab fare, it is impossible not to bump into a Peacenik at Islamabad-dos.

In the past three years that I have been in Pakistan, I have seen them selling themselves to people-who-matter. I have seen them smiling their smiles before shoving their visiting cards (and in one instance photocopies of a newspaper clip with photo) and frothing peace lines. I have heard them recite beautiful couplets in Urdu (and sometimes in Hindi too) to prove their passion for peace.

Unfortunately, I have seen the same bunch – poets, writers, mediapersons, theatrepersons, lawyers, activists -- do a turnaround in a different setting. That hurts.

While I still see a ray of hope in old-school Peaceniks, usually retired famous-somebodies, I dread the young lot, mostly reigning media bombs who articulate all-things peace beautifully for effect; or worse the wannabes, ambitious little things trying to strike it big at Peacenik Inc – even if that means getting past the Bhai brigade.

Of late, several entries into Peacenik Inc have been via the virtual world (thank you Twitter!) – so there is no real need anymore to network for an invite.

For me, the real Peacenik is the old man who got us a box of walnuts from his village and quietly prayed for peace; or my little Pakistani Hindu friend, who naively believes that the ongoing Indo-Pak talks have a fairytale ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment